Thursday, November 7, 2013

My IoF N.I. 2013 Seminar: Telephone Fundraising

Here are the slides from my Telephone Fundraising seminar at the Institute of Fundraising Northern Ireland conference, as well as what I think are the key points below:


Mystery Shop Your Own Organisation
I phoned two large Northern Irish charities to make a credit card donation and both failed to take my money. Try ringing your own reception (or get someone to do it for you...me please!) and see if they know how to handle a donation, know how to say thank you and know what to ask you.

Have An Inbound Cheat Sheet
Write up a one-pager for anyone who may receive these donation calls so they know what to do.

CEOs and Boards Fear Telephone Unnecessarily
Everyone says they hate receiving calls from charities asking for money (including me) but that's simply not true. People are warm, friendly and open. Cancellations are rare. Complaints are even rarer. Pick up the phone and talk to your donors. They will appreciate it.

Phone Calls With No Ask Are Still Fundraising
Thank you calls, care calls, surveys, etc. are still fundraising calls because they increase the chances that the person will go on to donate to you. There is monetary valuable in them.

A 'No' On The Phone Has Value
The great thing about the phone is that even people saying 'No' allows you to get feedback.

Integrable Is A Word. Integratable Is Not.
Telephone can and should integrate with everything...you should phone your mail recipients, phone your lapsed donors, phone your fundraisers. Phone everybody.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ant - I'd be happy to talk through or answer any questions if you want to mail me at simonscriver AT totalfundraising.ie
    Will hopefully be repeating the seminar in Republic of Ireland in 2014 but at the moment nothing scheduled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this article, I've really enjoyed reading this! I've recently discovered Tony Charalambides fundraising blog - you should check it out!

    ReplyDelete